Thursday 8 July 2010

Better Late Than Never

I finally pulled my finger out and went to the gym today. Sadly, I realised it was the first time I've been in a gym for 8 years, and even then I only did it because I was sort of curious. Well, this time i stood on a treadmill for the first time in my life. And I didn't just stand on it, no siree! i was a-running as fast as my little sausage legs could carry me.

You know why?

Because this is Japan.

Yeah. Fatties are few and far between here. Well, actually, they're gradually increasing, but put it this way, when walking down the street, you'll see far less blobbies than you would in London. It's quite depressing, from a selfish point of view. When I went back to London this February, I was gleeful to find that I was no longer one of the largest people in the vicinity. It was quite lovely, wading amongst the blubber on King Street and feeling really rather svelte. Ahaha. And I don't jeer at people's misfortune, but it is just nice to not feel like a great big pig, snuffling in the truffles. When people gawped at me in England, it was easier to imagine that perhaps it was because they liked my nice boots, and not because they were staring at my massive proportions. Perhaps. Then I returned to Japan and it all went wrong again.

Of course, there is an easier way to not feel like a great big pig. No, that's a lie, it's actually the harder way. Instead of moving to a country full of oinkers to feel thin by comparison, you could go to the gym. I suppose that's what one calls productivity.

So it's the beginning of a new chapter. It's called "Getting Things Done". Let's see how it pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment